Monday, June 7, 2010

Treasure Hunting

One of my favorite things to do is to find old things and repurpose them-some in the way they were meant to be used and some in a completely different imaginative sort of way.

There are some people whose imaginations soar when finding ways to use old pieces-like those who work (or should I say create) in a shop called Old Glory Antiques just outside of Denver, Colorado. The above image is an example of the wonderful treasures you will find. My imagination flutters just thinking about it ;-)

Above is another dreamy image from Old Glory Antiques. You will be transported to the website by clicking on the title of this post.

Ah..now we get to the treasures that my husband and I found over the weekend. As I mentioned in a previous post-we are working on improving the curb appeal of our house. He likes the old craftsman bungalow style and I prefer a more formal east coast shake shingle style. The good news is both styles are pretty compatible (in the design sense that is). The bad news is that we live in a 1960s ranch ;-)

Have you figured out that we also both love a good challenge?

We purchased this glorious front door-with a dentil mold shelf and beautifully preserved stained glass. After a good stripping, sanding and couple of coats of dark wood stain we will have the perfect entrance to our craftsman bungalow-or is that our shingled cottage?

Here is a close up of the dentil mold and stained glass. We picked this up at Extras Building Materials -another wonderful place for more primitive architectural pieces and used or surplus building materials on the cheap in Denver.

Curious to know what I am doing with the other items in the photograph with the door? Stay tuned and I will post the completed project tomorrow.

Until then....

No comments:

Post a Comment

I adore comments. Please tell me your thoughts.